As the only regional English language radio station, Surf 102.5 FM, is well known to the Royal Coast community. Not only in Hua Hin but with a signal that reaches Cha-Am to Pranburi and live online streaming worldwide via the net.
Richard Buckle is responsible for the production and format as a long-time radio professional. Originally hailing from South London, audio visual and sound production was his first professional interest. That inevitably led to radio production and by the mid 1980’s he found himself on board Radio Caroline broadcasting from the North Sea, unlicensed for most of its early life as a pirate a radio station.
By the early 1990’s, looking for a warmer climate than the British Isles, Thailand beckoned providing an opportunity to work with Smooth 105 and 95.5M in Bangkok. He also is a co-founder of Background Music provider BMAsia. He then decided on the need for a more family-oriented lifestyle with his wife and two kids away from the hectic Bangkok scene. That meant a move to Hua Hin and taking over the management of Surf 102.5 FM five years ago.
These days Richard is a well-known community identity, in part due to his willingness to broadcast live from events including charity golf days, big sporting occasions and at many more community happenings. Recently he could be heard interviewing performers of the 2020 Hua Hin International Jazz Festival.
But Richard is not alone in presenting the lively and versatile format; there’s also been some changes recently; some voices may be familiar but not the faces.
The Marriott Breakfast Show now features Steve Johnston. Steve previously worked in radio at BFBS (British forces radio) and was part of the team that set up Dubai’s pop Channel 4 before arriving in Thailand. He became a radio DJ in Phuket before joining Surf radio in 2016. After a move to Chiang Mai, Steve has now returned to live in Hua Hin and has become the new voice on The Marriott Breakfast Show as well as the voice behind regular sports reports.
Andy Curtis is the new voice on the afternoon Sheraton Drive Show. Andy previously lived in Hong Kong for 35 years, working with BFBS and RTHK radio, before moving to Hua Hin just last month. He first joined the Surf breakfast show in 2018, producing the show in Hong Kong.
Richard, Steve and Andy may be the voices listeners are most likely to hear every day with a great variety of music, fun and prize giveaways on their shows; but there are other local voices you’ll hear on Surf 102.5 FM
Two Australian accents (not too strong) are also regular local presenters. Leigh Higgins, a renowned Hua Hin ‘foodie’, joins Richard every Friday morning along with a guest (or two), for a live chat show broadcast from the Marriott’s Siam Bakery.
Rockin’ with Shane presents classic rock at its best. Shane O’Sullivan is a closet muso who has made guest appearances as a rock singer on many local stages. He offers his selections of rock ‘n’ roll hits from years gone by to get any party started every Friday night from 8.30 PM
Tech-Chat is a 2-minute feature on consumer technology presented in conversation with Thai Visa correspondent Jonathan Fairfield
Sunshine Soccer Podcast (Produced at the Surf 102.5 studio) with Gary Stevens, a former England footballer who played in the Football League for Brighton & Hove Albion, Tottenham Hotspur and Portsmouth and now resides in Hua Hin. Gary is a regular commentator on happenings from the English Premier league, he talks with broadcaster Steve Johnston
Other voices include Joey Chou based in Taiwan, Joey presents Asia Pop 40 which is produced in Singapore and broadcast every weekend and James Ross plays his Great Hits of Music.
ON-AIR WITH SURF 102.5 FM
- The Marriot Breakfast Show 07.00 to 10.00 with Steve Johnston. Friday is live at the Siam Bakery and places around the Marriott presented by Richard and Leigh with weekly guests.
- The Sheraton Drive Show with Andy Curtis from 4 TO 7 PM.
- BBC News broadcast live from London every hour on the hour, 24/7.
- Local News every half hour Mon – Friday 07.30 – 12:00
- Asia Pop 40 with Joey Chou (Playing the most popular songs in the region from Apple music) 09:00 – 12:00 Saturday, 15:00-18:00 Sunday.
- The Greatest Hits of Music with James Ross (Hits from 6 decades of music), 20:00 – 22:00 Saturday, repeated Tuesday & Thursday 20:00-22:00, 20:00-23:00 Friday.
- The Mellow Show’ with Gary Ziepe. One hundred and twenty minutes of eclectic laid back tracks across time and genres. 22:00-24:00 Sunday.
- LA Spinz’ with Peter Reynolds, A look at showbiz news and gossip from Los Angeles. 19:30 – 19:40 Mon-Wed -Fri.
- Tech Chat with Johnathan Fairfield reviews consumer technology with an emphasis on Thailand. Mon-Fri 13:30, 14:30, 15:30, 19:30, 20:30, 21:30, Saturday – Sunday: 07:30 – 21:30 (Also available as a podcast on Facebook)
With Surf 102.5 FM As Hua Hin’s English language radio station and the Royal Coast Review as the region’s online news site, both community enterprises are linking ex-pats and foreign visitors with the Thai community.
These similarities have resulted in a cooperative spirit and camaraderie without commercial or any other agendas; we just get on well together. The Royal Coast editor has been an occasional guest on the Friday morning breakfast program and other live broadcasts and we have shared many experiences reporting at social and promotional events.
LEARN MORE ABOUT SURF 102.5 FM
Email [email protected]